Closet Case Pouf | Scrap Busting!

For the past year or so, I’ve been saving all of my scraps. The tiniest little pieces, and the odds and ends of batting that were too small to use in quilting, I held on to them nonetheless. My initial thought was to turn them into stuffing for a dog bed, but instead something else happened. Enter – the Closet Case pouf!

As is my usual fashion, I’m late to the party, but Closet Case Patterns released a free pouf pattern over a year ago. I just found out about it now, and decided it was the perfect project for all those little fabric bits I have been saving up.

The idea of the Closet Case pouf pattern is to be very eco-friendly – using scraps not only to stuff your pouf but in the construction as well. In the end, however, I decided that I wanted something that was a little more understated than the versions I was seeing online. I was particularly drawn to a couple that were made out of wool.

I wondered where I could get wool secondhand and the lightbulb went off when my eye lingered over my wool winter coat. Well, there’s an idea! Of course, I LIKE my winter coat and I’m not ready to chop it up, but I thought a trip to the thrift store might be promising. I was not disappointed! My local Goodwill store has a clearance section, and almost like it was meant to be, there was a wool winter coat in a beautiful deep navy color for $1.99. Oh my soul, yes! The coat was in a larger size, which was also fortuitous, because I figured the pouf would need quite a bit of fabric. The coat was 80% wool, 20% nylon, which is fine. I’ve found that wool mixed with some nylon holds up better to wear and tear, and I’m hoping this pouf will look nice for a long time.

I brought it home and began chopping it up. I saved the buttons for my button jar. Once all cut apart into usable flat pieces, I threw them all in the dryer without heat to absorb some of the fluff and accumulated lint.

After cutting out all the pieces I got sewing. I pressed all my seams open and added topstitching on both sides of the seam. This worked fairly well until it came to putting the two halves of the top together. The bulk in the center was just too much for my machine so I ended up hand-stitching the center. After reading how other people made their poufs, I read a tip that mentioned adding interfacing inside all of your pieces. This helps to smooth any lumps you might otherwise see by stuffing the entire thing with scraps. I used fusible fleece to line the entire inside of my pouf. I opted not to make/use piping since I knew the wool would already make for some thick seams, and I really don’t miss it.

And finally, stuffing my Closet Case pouf! I used an old bedsheet, folded in half and sewn up on two sides to form a giant bag, and added to it all of my fabric and batting bits and bobs, odds and ends. The bag makes it easier to wash the pouf if I ever need to, although wool is dry clean only, so I’m not sure what I’d really do there. In any case, it is a lot less messy in the event that the zipper on the pouf is unzipped.

This was a really fun project and the 3D construction was really well described in the pattern. It is hard to capture in photos, but this blue is a really rich navy, it looks like something expensive and the fabric is sturdy! I’m going to start saving all my scraps again since the pouf really uses up a lot of them! My goal is to make a second one as a gift… eventually ;).

You might also like…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *