Today I have a fun and FREE tutorial for you to make this super easy double gauze baby quilt! Double gauze is the perfect fabric for babies because it is breathable, soft, and made of cotton! I was lucky enough to try PBS Fabrics’s new organic double gauze line and it is AMAZING!
You can find these fabrics from the following retailers:
- Harts Fabrics
- Urban Sewciety
- Stonemountain and Daughter
- Sewcial Distance
- Stitches Seattle
- Modern Domestic
- Bolt Neighborhood Fabric Boutique.
For the double gauze baby quilt, you’ll need:
- 1.25 yards each of (2) double gauze prints
- Batting, 50″ square
- Hand tying supplies: thread (I used Aurifil 12 weight but you can use yard, ribbon, embroidery floss, etc.), needle, thimble
- Sewing machine with a walking foot
1. Cut the selvege edge off one side of your first fabric. Then fold the fabric in half on the diagonal to form a triangle, or half a square. Cut the overhang off to create a square piece of fabric. Repeat with your second print.
2. Place one fabric right side up on top of your batting.
3. Place your second fabric right sides together on top of the first fabric. Add some pins to keep the layers together.
4. Stitch around the perimeter of your fabric with a 1/4″ seam allowance. Leave an 8″ hole to be able to turn the quilt right side out later on.
5. Trim your batting square with the fabrics, and snip your corners for sharper points, making sure not to trim into your seam.
6. Turn your quilt right side out, and press the edges flat, taking extra care with the opening and adding pins if needed.
7. Topstitch all the way around your quilt with an 1/8″ seam allowance, closing the opening shut as you go.
8. Add yarn ties or machine tack your quilt to secure all the layers together. Check your batting package to see how far away you can make the ties. I chose to tie my quilt every 5″ with my Aurifil 12 weight thread doubled.
9. That’s it! Wash and enjoy this extra snuggly double gauze baby quilt! This project is a great one for beginner sewists, or for a quick and thoughtful baby shower gift!